[clug-talk] Gentoo 2004.3 is out, and here I am compiling 2004.2

Chris Lobkowicz chris_lobkowicz at rapid.ca
Thu Nov 18 10:37:32 PST 2004

Coming from the "Gentoo takes a long time to install" argument, I get
what I put into it. If it takes me a week to get the system built, it
takes a week. In the end, the portage tree speaks volumes about itself,
and the fact that my system is spankyfast compared to a (insert a
generic i586 distro here), is a godsend.
I actually like the fact that the install procedure is a process,
rather than a bunch of yes/no/other answers.
The install method is an excellent way to "get my hands dirty" doing a
linux install. Otherwise (insert the name of a gui install distro here)
installs are just that, stick in cd, boot, yes/no/other answers, done.
Nothing is learned, at least during a gentoo install, I learn about the
nittygritty right off the bat.
Gentoo's install method, though arcane, complex, long, frustrating,
magical, mysterious - always ends up for me being a tailored, powerful,
installed system. Gentoo fits the bill for me, and I will not use any
other distro. Other than to play with it, and see how they tailored
their X environment.

If I dont need to implement a (insert network service here) *right now*
then gentoo is my solution, if I need to spin up something *right now*
then I look elsewhere, either a BSD variant, or a Windows solution.

For those that complain about the lack of an installer, imho are
missing the whole point of customization. For the times when issues do
pop up, the gentoo forums are an incredible source of information,
regardless of distro.
And besides, installing the beast is half the fun for me anyways.

Nothing says "It was worth it to me" to take a month to get gentoo
installed on a dual P90, without distcc! Installing is half the fun!
When else do I get to spend so much intimate time with a server? Once
installed, only maintenance duties are required.

Cheers
Chris