[clug-talk] Gentoo 2004.3 is out, and here I am compiling 2004.2

Jason Louie jason.k.louie at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 10:15:09 PST 2004

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:55:23 -0700, Niels Voll <nvoll at voho.com> wrote:
> wow - you Gentoo guys have patience fit for a saint !
>
> ...Niels

I'd agree.  My first and only experience with Gentoo was over a year
ago.  Before that I've used RedHat6.x-7.x and Mandrake8-9.  I was
installing on a P200 with 128mb ram.  I wanted optimize what I could
so thus Gentoo was my descision.  Even with the beautiful
documentation Gentoo had I still had some small issues with the
install... nothing I couldn't handle, (but I found it odd where the
installation would fail at diffrent places each time).  However the
thing that got me was that after a month of install Gentoo I still
didn't have a working web server, (a month of spending 1 - 2 hours
almost every night.)  After a month I finially got fed up and decided
to give another distro a whirl.  Out came the SuSE FTP install and
having never tried SuSE before it took me less than 1/2 hour to have a
functional webserver with very few unneeded packages installed.  I
have since moved to Debian, (debootstrap install via knoppix.)

My thoughts on Gentoo is that the system would be very nice on a fast
machine but on a slower machine, (the machines that need the speed
optimization,) it takes *WAY* too much time to install.

I might try Gentoo again down the road but only when installs would be
less painful.