[clug-talk] Gentoo 2004.3 is out, and here I am compiling 2004.2

Kevin Anderson list-server at myrealbox.com
Thu Nov 18 09:05:35 PST 2004

On Thursday 18 November 2004 02:32, Shawn wrote:
> Be VERY VERY careful when you do an emerge world down the road.  I just had
> this bite me bad - and I even took all the "right" steps.  By "right"
> steps, I'm referring to a practice emerge (-p) first, and seeing what would
> get updated, modifying your USE flags to get rid of packages you don't
> need/want, doing the emerge, running etc-update or dispatch-conf and
> examining the differences of EVERY updated config file and taking care not
> to overwrite your modified files.

You can simply comment things out of the world file, and then they'd be
ignored.

If you're REALLY paranoid, you could also create packages using quickpkg.
This will create a binary package of X on your machine that you can revert to
if neccessary.  This is hugely beneficial if you need to be able to revert
back to something of a version that's either been masked or pruned from the
portage tree.  (It also lets you emerge once on 1 machine, and install
packages on others (assuming the same configuration (make.conf) on the other
machines))