[clug-talk] Gentoo 2004.3 is out, and here I am compiling 2004.2

Ian Bruseker ian.bruseker at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 08:17:34 PST 2004

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:35:02 -0700, Niels Voll <nvoll at voho.com> wrote:
> I'm curious - how long did the whole process and up taking?

Kevin is running on a far more powerful machine than I am.  :-)  I'm
using a Celeron 700 MHz with 512 MB RAM.  I started emerge system
before going to bed one night, it was done when I got up in the
morning, so no more than 8 hours.  A clean kernel compile took about
25 minutes.  X (X.org version) took around 3 or 4 hours if I remember
correctly, but here's where I learned my first lesson about thinking
ahead in what you compile.  I compiled 6.8.0 on its own, then realised
I needed ati-drivers, but it turns out ati-drivers only works with
6.7.0 so it had to downgrade and recompile the older X before
installing the drivers.  Oops.  :-)  Oh well.  As for KDE, I've been
doing that in parts (rather than just "emerge kde", since I never use
things like kdeedu, for example).  kdelibs and kdebase I did in one
emerge, they took around 16 hours (they sucked in a number of
dependancies too, but those two were the two heaviest compiles).
kdepim took around 4 or 5, kdenetwork I'm not sure about because I
went to bed but at least 3 hours.  I'm still going - this morning I
started kdeaddons and kdeadmin, which have been going for about an
hour now.

Ian