[clug-talk] massive qmail problems!

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Thu Nov 18 02:00:07 PST 2004

I got this mostly resolved now.  I used the recordio tool to give me a log of
the complete smtp conversations my server took part in.  It turns out that
the SMTP part of it worked flawlessly, but the other problem I mentioned
regarding clamav stopped the conversation dead, and the mail didn't get
delivered.  This was a little tough to diagnose, because only 1 out of 5
messages would see this error (for incoming), but all outgoing messages would
get it.

Once I realized this was the case, I disabled the qmail-scanner and everything
began working flawlessly again (except for getting more spam than I did
before).

Instead of having to diagnose the clamav issues, I just removed it, and
installed F-Prot instead, and have just finished reinstalling qmail-scanner -
and all seems well.  But I came damn close to abandoning Gentoo because of
this problem... I'm glad I don't have to do that.

Now that I have things stabilized, I think it's time to build a replacement
server (I don't trust the overall configuration of the system anymore - that,
and I want to try the Gentoo 2004.03 release to see what they've changed..
<grins>)

(I apologize for my ramblings, but I DO hope they help someone).

Shawn