[clug-talk] Gentoo 2004.3 is out, and here I am compiling 2004.2

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Thu Nov 18 01:32:46 PST 2004

Be VERY VERY careful when you do an emerge world down the road.  I just had
this bite me bad - and I even took all the "right" steps.  By "right" steps,
I'm referring to a practice emerge (-p) first, and seeing what would get
updated, modifying your USE flags to get rid of packages you don't need/want,
doing the emerge, running etc-update or dispatch-conf and examining the
differences of EVERY updated config file and taking care not to overwrite
your modified files.

I did all of that, and still ended up with a conflict when two complimentary
packages were updated but did not cooperate together (specifically Perl and
qmail-scanner, and maybe clamav).

Otherwise, my update seems to have been rather thorough...

Shawn