[clug-talk] Advocate Linux. A Lug is born:

s. keeling keeling at spots.ab.ca
Wed Nov 17 20:35:16 PST 2004

Incoming from bogi:
> On November 17, 2004 19:55, s. keeling wrote:
> > Incoming from bogi:
> > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3830545.stm
> >
> > It's more like a LUG turns one year old.  Take a look for yourself at
> > <http://www.iraqilinux.org/>.  CLUG might even learn something from
>
> As i read on, it seems the biggest problem is the unavailability of distros,
> maybe even related to bandwidth and connectivity problems. Also read the

I've seen that complaint before.  We all take connectivity for
granted.  Go somewhere like Africa and you learn that a pots land line
is a luxury for many.  Even if they can afford one, the infrastructure
sucks, so they're unreliable.

A couple of years ago, I got in contact with a guy in South Africa.
He and his friends wanted to use Linux but just _finding_ CDs and books
was impossible.  I packed up all my obsolete (for here) Linux stuff
and shipped it to him.  They were ecstatic when it arrived.  Days
later, they had an installfest in the works.

> forums they have, go into the helpme section ... see they had difficulty
> installing in some cases, found mandrake to be too simple and ended up

That could just be hardware incompatibility.  Pick the wrong mboard
and you're hosed if it isn't supported yet.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling      Please don't Cc: me.
- -