[clug-talk] Gentoo 2004.3 is out, and here I am compiling 2004.2

Kevin Anderson list-server at myrealbox.com
Wed Nov 17 17:27:37 PST 2004

On Wednesday 17 November 2004 15:35, Niels Voll wrote:
> I'm curious - how long did the whole process and up taking?

On my new box (AMD 64 - 3500 w/1 gig) the base system was ready in about 4
hours, but I wasn't just sitting and waiting, so I'm not sure how long I
waited between completing each stage.  Kernel compiles take a few minuites.
Certainly less than 5.

KDE took quite a while.  Perhaps 15 or 20 hours?  It ran all day that I was at
work, and was done before I arrived the next day.

OTOH, I had a P-200 laptop with 32 megs RAM, and each stage took about 36
hours.  I didn't bother trying KDE.

Kev.