[clug-talk] Tar file

Kevin Anderson list-server at myrealbox.com
Wed Nov 17 17:12:40 PST 2004

On Wednesday 17 November 2004 16:53, Jesse Kline wrote:
> When Red Hat split their product line, they basically said that Fedora
> was more of a testing distro. for people who want the latest software.
> If you're a company running this on a server, you want something that is
> rock solid, has a long release cycle, and is easy to upgrade. As far as
> I'm concerned that's what Debian is, and it's free. Their stable
> distribution is known for being stable, which is what you should be
> looking for on a server IMHO. It has a long release cycle so you don't
> have to worry about upgrading your OS every 6 months in order to
> maintain patches. As well, it is easy to upgrade using apt. Just like
> rh, if you want the latest and greatest to play around with you can
> install testing or unstable. I think this is the heritage that they're
> proud of.

As they should be.  Too bad Oracle, Peoplesoft, etc don't agree.  Again and
again, Linux is the word used where Red Hat is the what they really mean.
Which makes it unsuitable for a corporate install.  Every time I've purchased
a big app, RH was requested as the OS.  Red Hat isn't Linux, but nobody seems
to know that except in the technical realm.

Maybe I hate RH because it's just thrown at me so often.  Linux should allow
choice, but it doesn't.  If you want support on an application, you need to
be running a particular OS under it.  Regardless of the suitability of
another identical OS.  Whitebox is a great example.  Try to get support for
Oracle on an install built on whitebox even...

Kev.