[clug-talk] SuSE desktop error

Jesse Kline jesse at kline.ca
Wed Nov 17 16:43:20 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 13:25 -0800, Bonnie Ferguson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a newbie question that I can't find an answer to - I cannot
> open the desktop shortcuts to myComputer and SuSE - on the SuSE icon I
> get this error message ending..."/destop/SuSe. desktop has no type
> =...entry".  So far I haven't been able to identify the problem and
> everything else seems to be working.

I might need a little more information here. I assume you are using KDE
as your desktop environment, when you say myComputer are you talking
about the Home icon, or something else (sorry I haven't used KDE in a
little while here). What exactly happens when you click on it? As for
the SuSE icon, I suspect that it is just a bookmark for their website,
you could probably delete it. You should be able to create a new
bookmark in Konqueror and drag it onto the desktop.

Any *.desktop file is just a text file, so you can open it in any text
editor. There should be a line in the file that says "Type=". If the
file is supposed to launch an application it would read
"Type=Application". One thing you can do is create a new user and see
how their default desktop compares to your current setup.

Another way of making a file that will launch an application or website
is to open a text editor and make a file that looks something like this:

#!/bin/sh
mozilla http://www.suse.com/
exit 0

This script will open the suse website in the mozilla web browser. Save
the file to the Desktop and then make it executable with a command such
as:

chmod u+x ~/Desktop/SuSE

I hope this helps a bit.

Jesse