[clug-talk] Tar file

Jesse Kline jesse at kline.ca
Wed Nov 17 15:53:24 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 12:04 -0700, Kevin Anderson wrote:
> Debian, which I poked fun at already this week, deserves the biggest pat on
> the back, because apt-get is another example of making things easy.  I've
> heard horror stories about apt, but personally, I've never experienced them.
> When I think Debian, I think Awesome distro, but just too slow moving to
> really be useful to anyone.  Which is really why Gentoo seems to have taken
> over for it.  If Debian had decent install instructions 5 years ago, or even
> made a half hearted effort to use current packages, I don't really believe
> Gentoo would even exist.  The funny part is, Debian seems to be proud of that
> heritage.  I just don't get it.

When Red Hat split their product line, they basically said that Fedora
was more of a testing distro. for people who want the latest software.
If you're a company running this on a server, you want something that is
rock solid, has a long release cycle, and is easy to upgrade. As far as
I'm concerned that's what Debian is, and it's free. Their stable
distribution is known for being stable, which is what you should be
looking for on a server IMHO. It has a long release cycle so you don't
have to worry about upgrading your OS every 6 months in order to
maintain patches. As well, it is easy to upgrade using apt. Just like
rh, if you want the latest and greatest to play around with you can
install testing or unstable. I think this is the heritage that they're
proud of.

Jesse