[clug-talk] anti email harvesting (was Website Changes)

Jason Louie jason.k.louie at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 15:45:48 PST 2004

Yes, have seen both Jarrod's and Pete's methods and here is my opinion.

I tend to lean towards Jarrod's method of submitting the form from the
site.  This way the Email address is never sent to the browser.
Though Pete's method would detour the major harvestors a less
technological or more thurough scan would allow the Email to be
captured, (Email harvestor are getting more and more advanced).
However, Pete's method would work under any web server.  Where
Jarrod's requires the functionality on the server side, (this might
not be available on all web servers.)  However Pete's method would not
work if the browser had JavaScript disabled, (which some clients
have.)

Conclusion: If possible I would use the form submission method, (used
by Jarrod,) in cases where the functionality is not available on the
server, the JavaScript method.

Just my $0.02.