[clug-talk] Tar file

s. keeling keeling at spots.ab.ca
Tue Nov 16 18:35:12 PST 2004

Incoming from bogi:
> On November 16, 2004 18:14, s. keeling wrote:
> > Incoming from John Iuchi:
> > > Hi, Im John. Im new Linux user. I did down load Firefox tar file.
> > > $ tar xvzf  firefox-1.0.installer.tar.gz
> > > then how do I do? Please tell me.
> >
> > Hey John.  In the directory where you did the tar command, try this:
> >
> >   ls -alF
> >
> > Let us know what it says.  Likely, it created a directory named
> > "firefox-1.0" or something.  "cd" into that directory and run the "ls"
> > command there too.
> >
> > What distribution of Linux are you running?  Redhat, SuSE, Debian, ...
>
> I guess he is in good hands ...

At least he's running an OS where things like this can be figured
out.  No registry editing necessary, just the basics:

  - What's there to do?

  - Ensure you have a backout strategy[i], then do it.

  - What did it do?

  - What's there to do now[ii]?

  - ...

[i]  cd
     mkdir bak
     cd bak
     cp -R ../.mozilla .

[ii] Look for executable shell scripts or binaries.  IFF you trust
     them (ie., you know where they came from), then (eg.), "./exe_script"
     will run it.

[*]  ALWAYS make sure you have a backout strategy.  DON'T install
     something if you don't ABSOLUTELY trust the people you got it
     from.  DON'T install something unless you know what it's going to
     do.  Follow these rules, and your backout strategy will save you
     from anything[iii].  If you're installing as root, you want to be
     doubly sure of all of this.

[iii]Firefox installs are well known[iv] for stepping on/blowing away
     working Mozilla installs.  You do want to keep all your old
     Mozilla bookmarks and settings, just in case Firefox blows up and
     doesn't work, right?

[iv] This may since have been fixed.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling      Please don't Cc: me.
- -