[clug-talk] Gentoo 2004.3 is out, and here I am compiling 2004.2

Ian Bruseker ian.bruseker at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 00:14:47 PST 2004

So just for kicks today I decided to set up a Gentoo system.  I
downloaded the 2004.2 minimal CD, set up my environment and started
from stage 1.  It's in the bootstrap phase as I type this (and might
be for a while since it's a 700 MHz Celeron I'm building it on).  To
kill the time, I'm surfing, and happen across this news item:
http://osnews.com/story.php?news_id=8867  Sigh.  Now, I know there are
a few Gentoo veterans on the list, so I have a question.  It's my
understanding that it's just a little clickety-click, barba-trick (aka
"emerge world") and a few hours (days) of compile time and I'm
upgraded to 2004.3.  Am I right?  (I'm heading to bed anyway, so it's
no big deal if it wastes the night compiling stuff it doesn't have to,
I'm just curious.)

Ian