[clug-talk] FC3 on 64b System...

Mark Lane mark at harddata.com
Fri Nov 12 12:49:08 PST 2004

On November 12, 2004 01:36 pm, Kevin Anderson <list-server at myrealbox.com>
wrote:
> I should add.
>
> There are some apps which are not quite 100% yet.  mplayer seems to work in
> some places but not others.  That's the biggest one I've found so far, and
> I've seen it repeated by others.

I have mplayer running under FC fine. I did have to force some 32bit libs to
install but most of the stuff can be installed using yum (if not all now). I
wouldn't attempt to run a 64 Bit version of Mplayer as the codecs are 32 bit.

> In Gentoo, things have problems if I don't have -fPIC in my cflags.  I'd
> assume anything you compile by hand would need that as well, or you'll have
> similar problems.  My Guess is that any RPMs you DL will have already done
> this.  But it's worth noting in case you do any manual compiling, because
> things WILL break otherwise.

I haven't had any such problems with FC and I've compiled several apps from
source.

Mark Lane, CET -- mailto:mark at harddata.com
Sales Manager -- Hard Data Ltd -- http://www.harddata.com
T: 01-780-456-9771 -- F: 01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue Edmonton, AB, Canada, T5X 1Y3
--> Ask me about our New Dual and 4 Way Blade Servers <--