[clug-talk] FC3 on 64b System...

Mark Lane mark at harddata.com
Fri Nov 12 12:46:00 PST 2004

On November 12, 2004 01:35 pm, "J. Rafael Sánchez" <rsanchez at itres.com> wrote:
> Thanks Aaron. Please see comments below.
>
> Aaron Seigo wrote:
> > On November 12, 2004 13:12, "J. Rafael Sánchez" wrote:
> >>3. Install only the 64bit version and this will give me 32bit backward
> >>compatibility?
> >
> > if, by 64bit, you mean x86_64 (e.g. amd64) then yes, when you install the
>
> Yes, I'm referring to x86_64.
>
> > 64bit x86_64 version you get 32bit compat as well...
> >
> > you'll notice both /lib and /lib64, for instance.
>
> You mean, there will be /lib and /lib64 listed under /var and, or /usr?

yes

> > works quite well, though not all build systems have caught up to this new
>
> Do you mean systems one would buy with linux already installed?

No a lot of apps hard code installing libs to /usr/lib and need to be forced
to use /usr/lib64 when compiling for a 64 Bit OS>

> > nuance and you sometimes have to coax ./configure a bit more than usual
> > when building stuff from source.
>
> Is this every time one would want to install anything from
> packagename.tar.gz's?

No most will work especially if they support sparc, just some people do things
they shouldn't do like hardwire 32bit stuff into their code.

Mark Lane, CET -- mailto:mark at harddata.com
Sales Manager -- Hard Data Ltd -- http://www.harddata.com
T: 01-780-456-9771 -- F: 01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue Edmonton, AB, Canada, T5X 1Y3
--> Ask me about our New Dual and 4 Way Blade Servers <--