[clug-talk] Suggestion Box

Jarrod Major jmajor at clug.ca
Fri Nov 12 11:57:16 PST 2004

On Friday 12 November 2004 12:22 pm, Dave Bourassa wrote:
> Jarrod, correct me if I'm wrong, but if that's what you were wondering,
> rest assured, we the executive, are not doing that.  We simply are
> adding the suggestion box as one more tool to allow members to avail
> themselves of an opportunity to speak up and be heard, without fear of
> embarassment etc.  Nothing is being taken away, only something being added.

Nope the discussion on meeting format and presentations is still open.

The 'suggestion box' was on my list of things to do and considering how things
were going, it seemed like a good time to implement it. It was not meant in
any way to discourage open discussion on this list or publicly. The clug-talk
list disappearing was a curious, disturbing coincidence. Contrary to some
members' beliefs about the Executive we are not trying to hide anything from
anybody. As I explained in an earlier post, if people are wanting to see what
suggestions are being made we can look into providing that detail. So far it
hasn't been used for suggeting much of anything.

The first one was a joke, the second one seemed like a pat on the back and a
half-serious suggestion. The third was a question about the mailing list. The
fourth was a rant about the clug-talk list, the Executive and the
transparency issue.

Just so you all know, one of the things on our list of things to do is to add
multiple forms to the website that would enable anyone various ways to
contact the Executive on various topics. We are planning on making it easier
to ask questions, submit comments along with as the suggestion box we have.

We have recently had another meeting on website development. So you see, we
are doing things. We will endeavor to let you all know what we are doing and
when so there is no guess-work or questions. And for those that think we are
doing nothing but posturing you can see how active we are as well.

It takes a heck of a lot more to run this show than most of you think (this is
not fishing for compliments). I am quite disheartened that people think we
are doing a poor job. You are entitled to your opinions. I have had to repeat
this a lot lately but we are trying to make some changes, things don't happen
as quickly as you might want them to but there are changes afoot.

One of the main reasons I got involved with this group was to try to make
changes to the way the group worked. I am happy with most of the changes I
have been a party to. Some of the things are not so good and some need
revisiting. I believe that this group will undergo many changes over the
course of its existence. Change is good.
- --
Jarrod Major
GPG Fingerprint: FA4A 1EA3 A0EE A842 07BB  804C 0090 14F6 BE6E DE3D
CLUG President
Registered Linux User: #224211