[clug-talk] Apache VHost question

Dave Wilson dave.lee.wilson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 11:57:32 PST 2004

Shawn <sgrover at open2space.com> wrote:
> But that's only half the problem.  I'm using ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse to
> point traffic to his web server, but if I capture all traffic via the
> wildcard approach, and redirect, then won't the traffic arriving at his
> server have whatever server name I used with the ProxyPass directive?  If so
> then his virtual names won't work properly.  I'm still stuck on this point...
> Any tips are still appreciated.

try using mod_rewrite.  I haven't done proxying with a variable
hostname like this, but give this config a try, it should work:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://%{HTTP_HOST}/$1 [proxy]

you'll have to make sure the proxy server resolves the wildcard host
names to the IP address of the web server, maybe using an internal dns
wildcard.

Dave