[clug-talk] Calgary ISP Comparison

Niels Voll nvoll at voho.com
Fri Nov 12 10:07:47 PST 2004

my experience with Shaw's residential package has been generally positive;

positive experiences
- relatively few outages,
- no port 25 blocking nonsense, like for example Telus
- plug and play DHCP - i.e. none of that having to go to a password
protected website to "register" one's NIC, like for example Telus
- cable is less sensitive to CO proximity than xDSL - although on cable
you "compete" with your neighbors for bandwidth - hasn't been a problem
for me, though
- same dynamic IP addresses for months and months
- bundled deal with digital cable is pretty good combination deal

negative experiences
- there was a stretch, when their DNS servers seemed very temperamental
(slow to non-responsive)  -  as a result, I've been running my own for
the last few months
- their email servers have had very slow throughput at times - however
since I'm running my own email server, this doesn't bother me

Other observations

bundling issues:
- Shaw's residential service seems a reasonably good deal in combination
with some of their digital cable TV packages
- I don't think you can get a static IP address as an add-on to Shaw's
residential packages, only with business packages (someone please
correct me, if that is untrue)
- I believe, if you want Telus DSL, you need to have their residential
Telephone service, at least for local service; Telus telephone service
is a bit more expensive than some of the others (Sprint etc.)

HTH

...Niels