[clug-talk] Mailing list back (for now)

Jarrod Major jmajor at clug.ca
Thu Nov 11 13:26:54 PST 2004

Hey Group,

After a flurry of communication back and forth between us and the hosting
provider, we have managed to get the clug-talk list back up.

The good news is that they were able to provide us with a partial list of
subscribers from sometime in September. That means that anyone subscribing
after September 22 was lost. We are going to get in touch with the people who
signed up for membership from that point on but we suspect that we will be
losing some folks. Please talk to people you know that are interested in CLUG
and/or Linux who may or may not have been on the list. Find out if there were
on the list, ask them if they have received this message or the soon to
follow message from the Secretary.

The website will have an updated message instructing people to resubscribe if
they haven't received this message so hopefully that will catch some of them
as well.

At this point in time we still do not have an explanation of how this list
disappeared. We have several other mailing lists and they were left untouched
which suggests that the clug-talk list was targetted for deletion. This
theory is also supported by the fact that the other lists are working just
fine. As such this list could disappear at any time if the perpetrator uses
the same technique as they did previously. We are aware of a mailman
vulnerability but we are not sure if it applies to the version of mailman our
host uses. They have been notified of this regardless.

Now on to accounts...
You will have to request your password to be sent to you from the mailman
administrator http://clug.ca/mailman/listinfo/clug-talk_clug.ca at the bottom
under 'clug-talk Subscribers' if you previously had your account set to
digest mode then you will have to reset this as the mailing list is currently
set to send everyone subscribed individual messages. For those of you that
don't know what digest mode is, it is where you reveice one email on a
periodic basis that contains all clug-talk emails in one rather than each one
separately. Some people find this preferable, your choice.

Also, anyone having multiple addresses subscribed will have to go in to change
which address(es) you actually want email sent to. The reason for having
multiple email addresses subscribed is so that you aren't limited in your
ability to post from a single address.

I apologize for you having to do any of this, we were not able to restore the
list with all the settings intact and it was felt that you had waited
(patiently) long enough for the list to be recreated.

Thank-you.
- --
Jarrod Major
GPG Fingerprint: FA4A 1EA3 A0EE A842 07BB  804C 0090 14F6 BE6E DE3D
CLUG President
Registered Linux User: #224211