[clug-talk] Xorg.conf: multi-server vs. multi-screen

Curtis Sloan curtis.sloan at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 14 11:53:33 PST 2004

On Tue December 14 2004 12:30, Gustin Johnson wrote:
> > The NVIDIA driver knows about two modes of operation:  TwinView and
> > multi-screen.  TwinView is one X screen on two displays.  Multi-screen
> > uses X's architecture to dedicate an X screen to each display.
> > Unfortunately, this still means only one desktop environment being
> > shared.  So I believe I need a particular X configuration if I am to
> > solve this using one video card.
>
> How does the NVIDIA driver switch between the modes?  Is it a module
> option?

Perhaps "modes" wasn't the best term to use since it is used extensively in
both the NVIDIA driver documentation and X Windows to refer to totally
different things.  :-P  Sorry for any confusion.

If you mean how does one switch between TwinView and multiple X screens, then
that's simple and relatively easy.  The changes are all made
in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

You can only use one or the other.  The exact details of how to implement it
can be found in /usr/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README (Appendix I for TwinView,
Appendix R for multiple X screens).

Here's the synopsis of how to configure for multiple X screens as a teaser:

"First, create two separate Device sections...Then, create two Screen
sections...Finally, update the ServerLayout section to use and position both
Screen sections..."

HTH,
Curtis S.