[clug-talk] Re: Xorg.conf: multi-server vs. multi-screen

Curtis Sloan curtis.sloan at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 14 10:07:24 PST 2004

On Mon December 13 2004 18:32, you wrote:
> I have an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 SE (manufactured by PNY).  It has TV-Out,
> which is treated as a separate display.
>
> What I want to do is have two separate desktop environments, one on CRT and
> one on TV.  In order to accommodate this, I believe I need to dedicate an X
> server to each display.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Currently, I can fire up two X servers on CRT, but I haven't found a way to
> put one on CRT and one on TV.

Well, I managed to get one X server on CRT and one on TV.  Unfortunately, they
can't be displayed concurrently; i.e. I can only have one on at a time.  That
defeats the original purpose (to play DVDs on the TV in the background in a
separate environment.  Why a separate environment?  So they can login
remotely without interrupting my work ;-).

It looks like I would need to follow this hack to get that functionality
(requires a second mouse and USB keyboard).

http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/multiuser/

Short of getting new hardware, I don't see how I can get two concurrent X
servers on separate displays.  I'm still open to suggestions, but if none,
then I hope this helps someone else.

Curtis S.