[clug-talk] OT: Computer safety
pcarless at carless.com
Wed Dec 8 21:39:03 PST 2004
My $0.02 worth on the subject.
All computers that we are likely to be using plug into a standard 15 amp
110 volt ac circuit. This would mean that if you had too many computers
plugged into the same circuit and they were drawing excessive power then
the circuit breaker (or fuse if you have older wiring) would trip and power
to the computer would be killed.
Keep in mind, that even if the computers are plugged into different wall
outlets they could be still on the same circuit breaker, as I believe that
the electrical code allows up to 10 to 15 outlets to be fed from the same
One 15 amp circuit should supply approx. 1700 watts (115 x 15). This does
not take power factor into account but it should be close enough approximation.
If the electrical wiring is up to standard and you plug too many computers
in it should just pop the breaker or fuse and should not start a fire.
There are a few safety considerations that should be taken into account
If you have an older house with fuses instead of circuit breakers make sure
that there is a 15 amp fuse in the circuit and that some one has not
replaced the 15 amp fuse with a 20 amp or higher capacity. In this case you
could be drawing more than 15 amps through wire that was designed to carry
15 amps causing over heating and a fire.
Make sure that your outlets are wired correctly and are properly grounded.
You can purchase testers for less than $10 that plug into an electrical
outlet and let you know instantly that your wiring is correct.
If your house was built in the early to mid 70's it may have aluminium
wiring. At that time the price of copper was sky high and aluminium wiring
became popular as a cost saving measure. Aluminium wiring is apparently
quite safe if it is wired correctly and that receptacles approved for
aluminium were used. However aluminium wiring can cause receptacles to
overheat if it was not installed correctly and apparently at the time this
was not uncommon. If you suspect you have aluminium wiring it would not
hurt to feel the receptacles and see if they are warm.
If your house is 70 years old or more and the wiring has not been upgraded
you may have knob and tube wiring. If this is the case I would strongly
suggest that you consult an electrician.
If you are a bit paranoid there is a relatively new device available
called an arc fault circuit interrupter. This would be used instead of the
standard circuit breaker in your breaker panel. These will trip if there is
any arcing in the circuit, even when the current draw is less than 15 amps.
I have heard that they are required for circuits supplying bedrooms in some
provinces. These devices do not come cheap. The price of $70 to $80 comes
to mind compared to $10 to $15 for a standard circuit breaker.
Another device that you may want to consider is a GFCI (ground fault
circuit interrupter) These are the devices that are required to supply
outside and bathroom circuits. You can get these devices to replace a
circuit breaker (cost about $70.00) or devices that replace standard duplex
receptacles (cost about $10)
These devices can be identified by the little "test" button. These
devices will trip if there is any leakage to ground. If your basement
floods and your power supply gets wet they will trip instantly. If you have
old wiring with ungrounded receptacles placing one of these in the circuit
will provide protection almost as good as having a grounded receptacle.
These devices provide very good protection against electrical shock.
If your power supply has even a very small electrical leakage these devices
will trip, which could prevent an electrical fire. A standard circuit
breaker will not provide this level of protection.
Please note IANE (I am not an electrician).
Before proceeding with any electrical work consult with a licensed
electrician or apply to the City of Calgary for an electric permit and have
the work inspected by the city inspector.
More information about the clug-talk