[clug-progsig] beginning c programs

Cade Cairns cairnsc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 09:49:28 PST 2005

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:59:19 -0700, Michael Walters
<waltersm at telusplanet.net> wrote:
> Does Shawn or anyone else in the group know how to set the tab to 3 spaces in
> the vim editor as suggested by my text? right now my tab in the vim editor is
> set to 8 spaces, which is more than what I want.

If you edit the .vimrc file in your home directory, you can set
tabstops to display as 3 spaces with a single line:

set tabstop=3

I personally use "soft" tabstops for most of my development, for which
the editor puts a series of spaces rather than a literal tabstop when
you hit the tab key or press ctrl-t or ctrl-d to shift text when
editing:

set expandtab softtabstop=4 shiftwidth=4