[clug-progsig] PHP dropping session when child window closes?

Shawn sgrover at open2space.com
Sun Sep 19 02:01:06 PDT 2004

The popups should be fine, because it is a time tracking application, which
would normally only be used by authorized staff - so the popup blocking would
likely not apply here.  (In reality, for the near future, it'll only be me
using it...).

I'm opening the popup using javascript from within an IFrame.  Maybe Konqueror
doesn't handle IFrames properly?  Regardless, I just installed Firefox to see
how it handled the site, and everything works as I would expect...

I find it odd that even though I'm using non-browser specific code, I am
seeing three different behaviors in three different browsers, with the same
code.  In Konqueror, closing a child window drops my session, and my date
picker works but isn't positioned properly.  In Mozilla, closing a child
window doesn't drop the session, but trying to use the date picker shuts down
or crashes Mozilla.  With Firefox, closing the child window doesn't drop my
session, and my date picker works with the correct positioning....  These
inconsistencies make it damn tough to create an effective cross browser
application....  Luckily it's not that critical at this time, though I ALWAYS
try to use browser independent code.

Just saw your second message too.  Yep, I'm starting the sessions in the popup
window, and I know the session data is available there (need it to properly
update my database, which is getting the correct values, but I've traced
through this as well to confirm - part of standard debugging to me...).

Thanks for the thoughts/input though.  With the mainstream browsers (IE and
NS), your suggestions would have likely solved the problem.

Shawn